Monday, January 22, 2007

Pompidou Center Museum

I walked by the Pompidou Center again tonight, which reminded me that I was going to comment on this museum. It houses one of Europe’s greatest collections of 20th-century modern art in a huge building that is revolutionary in itself. Ahhh, so how would you like to wake up one morning and have this view out your window??
After provoking fierce controversy when it was inaugurated in 1977, the building with its crazy architecture has been adopted by Parisians and tourists alike. Named after George Pompidou, a former Prime Minister, it welcomes over 5 million visitors each year and features some pretty wild art. The building is “exoskeletal,” which means that its air ducts, pipes, and escalator are on the outside of the building leaving the entire inside of the building to display its artwork.

I visited the museum on my very first trip to Paris in 1993, and my only positive memory is of the view from the top of the escalator. However over the years, I have begun to appreciate modern art a little bit more; so maybe it deserves another look. I’ll let you know…