Friday, February 23, 2007

Paris – An Outdoor Museum - Part I

This statue not far from my apartment (near the Arts et Metiers Metro station) was carved, as it says on the base, by French sculpture Antoniucci Volti. He drew every day using live models and devoted his life to celebrating women. “What interests me is less the woman than her architecture.” On the base, you can see that he called this statue, Harmonie. A week or so after I took the first picture, I passed by the statue again to see this city employee (I assume) lovingly repairing and polishing the healthy young lady. In the unlikely place next to the famous St. Eustache church and in the midst of the huge Les Halles shopping area, this giant granite head resting on its side has a hand curving around its ear. It’s called “The Listener” and was created by Henri de Miller in 1988. Who knows what the head is listening to but I know that every Sunday morning, he hears a marvelous organ concert from the 8,000 pipe organ in the church. I sure did (refer to 1/19/07 and 1/22/07 postings). Don’t they say that art is all in the eye of the beholder? When I first caught a glance of this fallen tree in the Tuileries Gardens, I thought it was just that—a fallen tree that hadn’t been removed yet by the little green man. I was wrong. It is art, a monumental bronze tree created by Guiseppe Penone in 1999. Walking around Paris is truly like walking through a museum.