Friday, March 9, 2007

Back in the "Real World"

This photo describes how I feel right now (4:30 AM--been up for a couple of hours). Which way do I go or where do I start?

My day in Paris started out with the usual frustration--who knew that no cabs stop at the taxi stand a block from apartment--even though a cab was parked there, no one claimed it for 30 minutes and all who drove by wouldn't stop. Soooo, I picked up all that luggage and walked about 12 blocks to the Holiday Inn where, of course, there was a queue. Fortunately, the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day for a walk! By that time, I decided not to deal with going to L'Opera and catching the Roissy Bus (and lugging the luggage any more than I had to--hey, that's why they must call it "luggage!") and just told the cab driver, "Charles de Gaulle, s'il vous plait." I was checked in by 10 and the flight left on time at 12:40. I even had a whole row of seats to myself! But I never napped.

I was at the condo last night by 5:30--in time to hear Katie Couric "live" instead of some time the next day on the Internet! My flight arrived in Houston a little early; I sailed through Customs; my bags practically beat me to Baggage Check. Thank you, Lord!
Gosh, my condo looks HUGE! Such a long walk from the bedroom to the kitchen! Except for a few little ant visitors in the kitchen sink, everything looks in place. Now I get to deal with the other challenges. Even though I have fully-inflated tires, the car battery is totally dead. And my mail has evidently been returned by the post office to all senders. Silly me not to stop the mail but our building "concierge" (I just promoted him) has always taken care of me in the past--likes to make an extra buck--but he didn't put any mail in my apartment. I hope he's OK--or they haven't fired him! He was also going to keep the car started so the battery didn't die. Anyway, lots of stuff to do today--plus that hair appointment which is much needed.

I finished most of the unpacking last night but there is still plenty to do before I feel settled in again. And we lose an hour of sleep this weekend? What month IS it?