Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Sushi Anyone?

A large Asian community lived in my Marais neighborhood. They obviously owned and worked at the stores selling purses, beads, scarves, knick knacks, clothes, souvenirs, etc that covered blocks and blocks around my apartment. En gros signs were posted on door after door as you walked down the street past these shops; in other words, don't bother entering if you're not a wholesaler.
There were at least four sushi shops within several blocks of my front door. I don’t know if there’s any relationship between those two facts. (God forbid I be politically incorrect!) I walked by one or more of these shops every day; two of them had a fleet of these cute little delivery motorbikes. The drivers (almost always Asian), with their copies of the plan de Paris (maps), hung around chatting on the sidewalk, smoking their cigarettes, and waiting for the next delivery. Sometimes when they grabbed a delivery bag, they flipped through their map to find the location before hopping on the bike and flying down the street. At least one restaurant had a couple of tables but the others appeared to be delivery restaurants only. My son-in-law can eat his weight in sushi so I always thought of Doug when I noticed the activity around the sushi shops.