Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Lazy French?

In early February, France’s health minister recommended that an afternoon nap become government policy. Huh? He suggested $10 million be pledged to a program to make France more like Latin countries where the siesta is king. This is very interesting because according to some sources, France already has the reputation for being the laziest country in Europe. French workers enjoy 35 holidays a year as well as many other benefits, including at least a 90-minute lunch.

Did I see any evidence of French laziness during my stay? My observations were more about the lack of urgency in the area of customer service. People seem to move at one pace…slow…and this made me ponder why I’m always in such a hurry, which isn’t a bad “ponder.” At the grocery store, at a museum, the airport—they seem more interested in each other, doing their kiss-kiss routine, and catching up on their news. As a customer, I always felt like an after-thought. Except at Starbucks…OK, so this is a bum on the Champs-Elysees with a view of the Arc de Triomphe…and he gets a siesta any time he wants!